Lots of international students are beginning to add Medical schools in Netherlands to their top schools due to their high-quality education, proficient research work, and promising career after graduation. The country is popularly known for its outstanding healthcare system, and most of its medical schools are ranked among the best in the world.
Before we list these med Universities in the Netherlands open to international students, let’s first explore their admission requirements and their school fees.
Netherlands Medical School Requirements
Here are some basic requirements international students will need to be eligible for these medical schools in the Netherlands.
- Applicants must have attained the necessary qualifications for admittance into a Bachelor’s in Medicine program in their own country. This could be your secondary education which must be comparable to the Dutch VWO diploma and includes qualifications in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics + English.
- Letters of Recommendation
- High school transcripts if you’re pursuing an undergraduate degree, or bachelor’s degree, and/or other transcripts if pursuing a master’s degree.
- Letter of Motivation
- Submission of English Language proficiency result
Netherlands Medical University Fees
International school fees for Medical degrees in the Netherlands vary depending on the school and the programme you intend to enrol in.
The average fee for EU/EEA students is €4,588 per year whereas that of Non-EU/EEA students is €14,300 annually.
Medical Schools in Netherlands for International Students
1. Maastricht University Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences
FHML is known to be one of the most renowned institutes of its kind in both the Netherlands and throughout Europe. The school takes advantage of highly advanced technology, and research to educate their medical undergraduate and graduate students.
Some of their bachelor’s medical programs include Biomedical Sciences, European Public Health, Health Sciences, and Bachelor in Medicine, all taught in English for international students.
2. Erasmus University Rotterdam Erasmus School of Medicine
This is among the medical schools in Netherlands for international students that offer several study programmes for talented and motivated students with an interest in medical care. These programmes are available for every student, both national and international.
Their programmes for international students include Clinical Technology, and Nanobiology, Medical Business Innovation (M.Sc). Their Medicine programme is taught in Dutch.
3. University of Groningen Faculty of Medical Sciences
The faculty of Medical Sciences of the University of Groningen is the second oldest medical faculty in The Netherlands. Like the university, it was established in 1614.
Their bachelor of medicine is provided in both Dutch and English Language, and it takes just 3 years to complete. From the beginning of your first year, you’ll be introduced to all medical disciplines based on patients’ cases.
After the Bachelor’s phase, students from all four learning communities will enter the Master’s programme together, and if all goes well you leave the university after six years as a physician. They also offer a Master’s programme in Medicine.
Other medical programme options include Dentistry, Human Movement Sciences, Molecular Medicine and Innovative Treatment, Clinical and Psychosocial Epidemiology, CPE Track Health Systems and Prevention, and Innovative Medicine.
4. University of Amsterdam Faculty of Medicine
The University of Amsterdam easily earns its spot on our list of medical schools in the Netherlands for international students due to its leading reputation worldwide for teaching and research.
You should know that the Academic Medical Center (AMC) of the UvA accepts a limited number of exchange students from international medical schools. And, priority is given to applications from one of the official partner institutes of the UvA.
They also provide a Dentistry programme for international students and the faculty of Dentistry in the University accepts exchange students from institutes with which the faculty holds an exchange agreement.
5. Leiden University Medical Center
In the Leiden University Medical Center students are prepared for lifelong innovation and learning. Researchers are inspired and put their findings directly into practice.
Their teaching at the University Medical Center has made their education, research and patient care to be closely linked.
They have over 3,000 university students enrolled in the bachelor’s programs in Medicine, Biomedical Sciences and Clinical Technology and the master’s programs in Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacy, Population Health Management and Vitality and Ageing.
6. Radboud University Medical Center
Radboudumc collaborates with Radboud University to offer three Bachelor’s programs for international students which are Biomedical Sciences, Dentistry, and Medicine. However, only Biomedical Sciences are taught in English.
The same applies to their Master’s Programme where only Biomedical Sciences and Molecular Mechanisms of Disease (research) are taught in English, and then Dentistry and Medicine are taught in Dutch.
7. Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Faculty of Medicine
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam’s Faculty of Medicine elective semester for international students. Some of the minors include;
- Amsterdam Global Health
- Cancer-Immunity-Personalized Therapies
- Challenges in Women’s & Child Healthcare
- Clinical & Scientific Internal Medicine
- Comprehensive Care and Anatomy
- Cardiovascular Challenges in organs
- Global Health Indonesia
- Hot Topics in Neurology and Psychiatry
- Medical Research to Clinical Practice
- Move your body
Also, note that in the last three minors, some parts (e.g. patient presentations) will be taught in Dutch.
If you wish to study in one of these medical schools in Netherlands for international students, don’t forget that you need to meet their admission requirements, which usually include a good GPA, nice English language proficiency result, and a good result in certain prerequisite courses.
- 8 Best Medical Schools in Cyprus (for Citizens and International Students)
- University of Cyprus Medical School Fees
- 9 Best Medical Schools in Cameroon (2023 Update)
- 9 Free & Cheapest Universities in Europe for International Students Without IELTS
- 10 Free & Cheapest Universities in Europe for International Students for Masters
- 20 Best Universities in Europe Without IELTS