Europe is a beautiful place to further your college as an international student, they have different institutions that provide programmes and courses that you need. Studying in Europe, with its vibrant cities, renowned institutions, and rich cultural tapestry, is now more accessible than ever, even without an IELTS score.
Moreover, it is normal to see a long list of eligibility, and admission requirements when you want to pursue a degree in most European countries, especially in the United Kingdom. And, sometimes, these requirements can scare some foreign students away from pursuing their education in Europe.
One of the most dreadful requirements that frighten students from countries that don’t have English as their first language is IELTS. There are diverse entry routes beyond IELTS, such as TOEFL scores, Duolingo, Pearson test of English, Cambridge English exams, prior degrees, and interviews.
Moreover, some very affordable universities in Europe don’t require IELTS but give room to alternatives.
So, in this article, we will list those universities in Europe without IELTS, before we do that let’s see some exceptions from submitting any English language proficiency test result.
Exceptions for Submitting English Language Proficiency Test Result
- If you have a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution where the primary language of instruction is English, you may be exempt from taking an English proficiency test.
- If you have completed the IB Diploma program with English as the language of instruction, you may not need to take an additional English test.
- If you are a citizen of a country where English is the official language, you may not be required to submit an English proficiency test.
- If you are a citizen of a country within the European Union, European Economic Area, or European Free Trade Association, you may be exempt from English language requirements for universities within these regions.
Now we have established this fact, let’s list some of these schools.
Universities in Europe Without IELTS
There are lots of universities that don’t require IELTS results in Europe, but we also focused our attention on schools that are best in different fields and programs, here is the list of the schools
1. University of Siegen (Germany)
This is one of the best universities in Europe that doesn’t require IELTS, it has five schools that offer various programs and courses which include;
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- School of Education, Architecture and the Arts
- School of Economic Disciplines
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Life Sciences
There is room to submit IELTS, but you’re free to submit alternatives like TOEFL, English on level B2 of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), or a certificate showing that the previous courses have been taught in English or proficiency in German.
2. University of Koblenz and Landau (Germany)
The University of Koblenz and Landau is the only university that provides teacher training courses for all school types. They have 8 faculties which include; Education, Arts and Humanities, Mathematics and Sciences, Computer Science, Education Sciences, Cultural and Social Sciences, Natural and Environmental Sciences, and Psychology.
This is among the best universities in Europe without IELTS that allows you to submit alternatives like TOEFL with at least 550 points (paper-based), 213 points (computer-based), or 79–80 points (internet-based) or a corresponding certificate.
3. Free University of Berlin (Germany)
This is one of the colleges in Europe without IELTS that is ranked near the top in all of the major German and international university rankings. They are among the 100 Best Universities Worldwide by Times Education World University.
Due to their programmes being mostly taught in German, their requirement is not on English proficiency, but rather on German Language Proficiency. Generally, German language proficiency of at least B1, preferably B2 (GERS/CEFR), is recommended for participation and successful completion of courses.
4. University of Giessen (Germany)
The University of Giessen recently celebrated its 400th anniversary in 2007, with approximately 28,000 students, making it one of the oldest universities in the German-speaking part of Europe. Moreover, since it is a public university, it doesn’t charge any tuition fees.
For students seeking for English-taught courses in this school, alternatives to IELTS include;
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) paper-based: 600 points
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) internet-based: 100 points.
5. Esslingen University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
This is one of the universities in Europe without IELTS that provides various programs through its 6 faculties.
- Science, Energy, and Building Services
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Management and Technology
- Social Work, Education, and Nursing Sciences
- Mobility and Technology
- Mechanical and Systems Engineering
Their alternative to IELTS requirement include;
- International TOEFL: score of at least 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, 79 internet-based
- Unicert II
- Cambridge Certificate (CAE or CPE)
- They do not accept the institutional TOEFL.
6. EPITA, the School of Engineers in Computer Intelligence (France)
This university in Europe without IELTS was established in 1984, making it the first engineering school in Paris. The school is also recognized for lots of academic accomplishments such as being listed among the 10 best engineering schools in 2021, according to Challenges Magazine.
If the native language or the medium of instruction of your high school education is not English, you have to demonstrate proficiency in English using one of the following tests.
- TOEFL (minimum score 80 IBT)
- TOEIC (minimum score 800)
- IELTS (minimum score 6.0)
7. American Business School, Paris (France)
This is another best colleges that doesn’t require IELTS and is recognized for lots of accomplishments such as being named the 3rd Best BBA Program in France, the 6th Best MBA & Executive MBA in France, the 8th Best European Bachelor in France, etc.
Applicants are accepted according to their applications, followed by their results from the following exams: TOEFL (or equivalent standardized test: IELTS, TOEIC, ITEP, Cambridge, etc.) and all documents justifying their English level and an Interview in English.
For students living in France, you can take the TOEFL at the American Business School of Paris during the next admissions session.
8. ISC Paris
The ISC Paris was founded in 1963 and it’s one of France’s few private, independent higher education groups. They provide lots of Bachelor’s, Master in Management, Master of Science, MBA, and Professional Programs.
You will be required to submit an English proficiency certificate (IELTS/TOEIC/TOEFL) or recommendation letter.
9. ESC Rennes School of Business, France
This is one of the universities in Europe without IELTS that accepts diversity, equality, ethnicity, and different cultures in such a way that more than 90 different nations are on their campus.
You’ll be required to submit one of the following English Language Proficiency results:
- TOEFL > 50 IBT;
- TOEIC > 500;
- IELTS > 4.5;
- Placement English test (similar to TOEIC), at no extra cost.
- Previous studies taught in English (minimum 2 years); or
- Native language: English
- IELTS 5.5 + IEC (Online Intensive English course)
French level B2 is also required for programmes taught in both English and French.
10. Toulouse Business School
The Toulouse Business School has been in the game of training business leaders for more than 100 years and is currently providing programs to over 5,600 students, and 2,000 trainees in Executive Education.
If you don’t have a good IELTS score or you have not written the exam before, you can submit other English test alternatives like TOIEC, TOEFL, CAMBRIDGE, or DUOLINGO (if your studies were not 100% in English or if you are not a native English speaker).
11. Ghent University (Belgium)
Ghent University is one of the few universities in Belgium that doesn’t require IELTS, and they are also known globally for their academic prowess. They are the 85th best University in the world according to U.S. News and World Report, and so many other rankings.
If you’re enrolling in their bachelor’s programme, you should know that they are taught in Dutch, and Dutch at level B2 is required upon enrolment for most bachelor programmes. Whereas, some of their master’s programmes taught in English require level B2 upon enrolment for most master programmes taught in English.
12. Warsaw University of Technology (Poland)
This is one of the universities in Europe without IELTS that has identified 7 Priority Research Areas to help support the analysis of global social challenges which include;
- Photonic Technology
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cybersecurity and Data Science
- Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering
- Material Science and Engineering
- High Energy Physics and Experimental Techniques
- Energy Conversion and Storage
Some of the alternatives to IELTS accepted in this school include TOEFL, European Consortium for the Certificate of Attainment in Modern Languages (ECL), Pearson English International Certificate, and many other alternatives.
13. Medical University of Gdansk (Poland)
This is the largest Medical University in Northern Poland, and it is located in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe with an old town and beautiful sandy beaches. Also, the school ranks among the top ten of the best Polish state universities according to the 2020 higher education ranking of the Perspektywy Education Foundation.
The minimum level of English proficiency necessary to study at the Medical University of Gdansk includes IELTS – at least 6.5 points; TOEFL iBT – at least 87 points and a minimum of 3.5 points for the written TWE work, TOEFL PBT – at least 510 points in the test (at least 180 points in the computer system), or any equivalent certificate.
You’ll only need to submit any of these results when you don’t have an HL or SL grade in English at the IB diploma or your education was not conducted in the English language.
14. Adam Mickiewicz University (Poland)
This is one of the top Polish Universities where research projects have become one of the top priorities. So far, they have carried out 613 projects by international and national research teams.
They currently offer 82 majors and 250 specializations, and provide 75 open university courses for 2000 people.
15. Jagiellonian University (Poland)
This is the oldest higher education institution in Poland that was established on 12 May 1364 by the Polish King Casimir the Great. The University has grown to employ more than 3,800 academic staff to provide the right education to more than 40,000 students.
Jagiellonian University is among the universities in Europe without IELTS that provides some other alternatives which include;
- Cambridge B2 First (grade C or higher);
- Cambridge C1 Advanced;
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency;
- TOEFL (at least: iBT: 72 points, ITP: 543 points, CBT: 180 points);
- citizenship of a country in which English is the official language;
- other documents (e.g. transcript mark confirming passing the university English language course at least at B2 level).
16. University of Bologna (Italy)
The University of Bologna is considered to be the oldest university in the Western World, it was established in 1088, which was also the year the stadium of Bologna was built. The college provides diverse research programs through its 3 departments and 5 schools.
The school allows you to submit other alternatives to IELTS results such as TOEFL, and Cambridge Assessment English. Also, it provides its own English test known as the University of Bologna Language Centre (CLA), where you will need to pass the ENGLISH LANGUAGE B – 2 (or higher) test in a previous career at the University of Bologna.
17. University of Pisa (Italy)
This is another top university in Europe without IELTS that was founded in 1343 and has 61 Bachelor’s degree programs, and 71 Master’s degree programs taught in 20 of their departments.
18. Polytechnic University of Milan (Italy)
The Polytechnic University of Milan is one of the best universities in Europe without IELTS that is made up of Six campuses distributed in the cities of Milano (Leonardo and Bovisa campuses), Lecco, Cremona, Mantova, and Piacenza.
Proficiency in English (at least a B2 level) that can be shown with an international certificate (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge Assessment), one full year of school in English, or an interview.
19. Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)
This is one of the colleges in Italy without IELTS that was founded in 1303, it is the oldest university in Rome, and also the largest in Europe. The University also accommodates lots of students, during the 2021-2022 academic year, they admitted 120,000 students, and have more than 3,500 professors to academically guide them.
Without the IELTS, you can submit TOEFL, Cambridge, or TOEIC as alternatives.
20. University of Naples Federico II (Italy)
The University of Naples Federico II is the oldest public university in the world. They provide bachelor and master programmes through their 4 schools which are;
- School of Polytechnic and Basic Sciences
- School of Medicine
- School of Human and Social Science
- School of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
TOEFL, Cambridge, etc., are perfect alternatives to IELTS in this school.
One of the interesting things about these best universities in Europe without IELTS is that most of them are still ranking very well in top-ranking companies. So, you don’t need to worry about their excellence, because they provide exactly what you need.