The Fashion world is an always-growing industry in all parts of the world, including South Africa. In fact, Statista predicted that Revenue in the Fashion segment is projected to reach US$1,002.00m in 2022, and in 2027 it will more than double to US$2,213.00m.
So enrolling in one of these best fashion design schools in South Africa is a brilliant career choice, because you won’t only learn how to create spectacular designs, but most of the schools will also teach you to build a business in the fashion world. Also, there are other countries like Nigeria, that still provide some of the best fashion schools that might be of your interest.
Moreover, you can even take advantage of international scholarships provided to South African students, which you can still choose a fashion programme from them
Let’s go ahead to list these fashion design schools in ZA.
Best Fashion Design Schools in South Africa
1. University of Johannesburg – Department of Fashion Design
The University of Johannesburg is not just one of the best colleges in South Africa, it is also one of the best fashion design schools in South Africa. Their fashion design department provides different academic programmes and research, such as;
- Diploma Fashion Production
- BA Fashion Design (B8FD1Q)
- BA Honours Fashion Design
- MA Department of Fashion Design
- Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) in Art and Design P8AD1Q
Department of Fashion Design
Faculty of Art, Design, and Architecture (FADA)
PO Box 17011
+27 11 559 4555
2. Tshwane University of Technology Fashion Design and Technology
TUT’s Fashion Design and Technology faculty have built a reputable environment where talented fashion design students can learn properly to improve to their full potential. TUT doesn’t train their students just to be employees, they also train them to start their own businesses.
086 110 2421
3. Xela Fashion Studio and Design College
This is one of the top fashion design schools in South Africa that provides a two-year, full-time Fashion Design programme. They combine both creativity in fashion and entrepreneurship, which helps you also to learn how to build your own fashion brand successfully.
The beauty of the school is that it is the only fully accredited fashion college in Mbombela.
083 310 7410
ATTI College Building
16 Rothery Street
4. FEDISA Fashion School
FEDISA is one of the fashion design schools in South Africa that offers almost every programme that has to do with fashion design. They provide;
- BA Degree in Fashion: This programme takes 3 years to complete with 360 credits.
- BA Degree in Fashion Retail
- Diploma in Fashion Merchandising: This is a 3-year programme that covers Fashion Merchandising, Marketing, and Media programme.
- Marketing & Media or a BA Honours in Fashion
- Ba Honours in Fashion: Unlike others, this only requires 1-year to complete
021 424 0975
Cape Town Campus:
81 Church Street, Cape Town CBD, South Africa, 8001
50 Wierda Rd W, Wierda Valley, Sandton, 2196, South Africa
5. Durban University of Technology
This is one of the best fashion design schools in South Africa that provides in-depth knowledge and practical skills through its Diploma in Fashion Design. Also, the school is not just good in fashion, they are also recognized as one of the top 600 schools in the world and the 5th best college in South Africa by Times Higher Education.
Mr. Njabulo Ngcobo
031 373 3750
Fax to Email:
086 673 4355
6. Cape Peninsula University of Technology
The Cape Peninsula University of Technology provides;
- Diploma in Fashion: this is a 3-year programme that teaches students both fashion and fashion-related industries.
- Advanced Diploma in Fashion: You must have completed the 3-year Fashion Design Diploma with a 60% pass rate including a portfolio of work and possibly an interview for you to be eligible for the programme.
Second Floor, Design Building, District 6 Campus, Cape Town
+27 21 959 6767
7. Stadio Higher Education – School of Fashion
This is one of the few fashion design schools in South Africa that is internationally accredited by the British Accreditation Council (BAC). They provide;
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) In Fashion: This is a 1-year programme with a minimum of 120 credits.
- Bachelor of Arts in Fashion: This is a 3-year programme with 360 credits, and you can either choose to specialize in: Fashion Design, Fashion Media, or Fashion Buying.
- Bachelor of Commerce in Fashion: This is another 3-year programme, but with minimum credits of 373.
- Diploma in Clothing Production: This is also a 3-year programme with a minimum of 360 credits.
- Higher Certificate in Fashion
- HIGHER CERTIFICATE IN PHOTOGRAPHY
- Higher Certificate in Film and TV Make-up Design
367 Hilda Street, Hatfield, Pretoria, 0028
+27 12 342 0069
8. Design School Southern Africa
This is one of the best fashion design schools in South Africa that focuses on three globally-recognized designs: graphics design, fashion design, and interior design.
9. Studio 05 Institute of Fashion
This fashion designing school in South Africa provides both theoretical teachings and practical experience in the Clothing Design and Manufacturing industry. They are also one of the few fashion schools that offer courses to hearing-impaired individuals seeking a profession in Fashion.
They provide a 3-year program, short courses, a 2-year National Certificate in Fashion Design, and also a 1-year Certificate in Fashion Design.
96 Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg 2000
079 612 9654
011 339 1560
10. Cape Town College of Fashion Design
CTCFD is one of the best fashion design schools in South Africa that provides
- A 3-year full-time diploma in fashion design with important practical modules and a lot of necessary theoretical subjects.
- An Advanced Diploma
- A 1-year foundation fashion programme
- Short course.
+27 (0)21 224 0727
+27 (0)86 515 8063
+27 (0)81 793 4276
Unit 16, Waverley Business Park
Unit 16, Waverley Business Park
11. Villioti Fashion Institute
This fashion school was named after Spero Villioti, who has run a successful fashion brand for more than 30 years. And it is one of the few fashion design schools in South Africa that have International affiliations with Parsons New York, FIT (NY), and the London College of Fashion.
And this affiliation has helped them to align their programmes to international courses. They provide;
- Bachelor in Fashion
- Diploma in Fashion
- Higher Certificate in Fashion
- Short Courses
+27 11 325 6088
+27 64 703 2533
3rd Floor, South Wing, Hyde Park Shopping Centre, Corner William Nicol Drive & Jan Smuts Ave, Hyde Park, Johannesburg, South Africa
12. Design Academy of Fashion
This is one of the best fashion design schools in South Africa that is the only African fashion school to be featured in the CEO World magazine “Top 100 fashion schools in the world.” And, they are also the only South African Fashion institution to be a part of the GUCCI Fellowship Design Program, and there are so many other recognitions.
The Old Biscuit Mill, 375 Albert Road, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925
+27 (21) 448 9379
13. Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion Design
This is one of the top fashion design Institutes in South Africa that provides;
- A Degree in Fashion Design
- A Diploma in Fashion Design
- An Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design
- Part-time Fashion Design Course
- And, Adult Learner Programme.
26 Techno Avenue
(+27) 021 88 00 775
(+27) 021 88 000 66